Do you have a cracked tooth? This common dental issue can cause pain and tooth sensitivity and affect your oral health. At Hart Dental Group in Columbus, OH, we can help you fix your cracked teeth and restore your smile with various treatment options.
Common Reasons for a Cracked Tooth
There are many reasons why a tooth may chip or crack. Some of the most common causes include:
- Grinding or clenching your teeth too much
- Chewing vigorously on hard objects such as ice, hard candy, or pens
- A traumatic blow to the face or mouth
- Large fillings that weaken the tooth structure
- Aging and natural wear and tear over time
Regardless of the cause, a cracked tooth could expand, leading to further damage and complications.
Why You Need To Fix Cracked Teeth
If left untreated, a cracked tooth can lead to more severe dental problems such as decay or infection. The crack can also expand, causing pain and further damage to the tooth. Additionally, a cracked tooth can affect your bite and cause discomfort when chewing.
We want to prevent this issue from getting worse while also making it easier for you to brush and floss properly, and we will leverage the latest treatment techniques and best practices in our field to fix a cracked tooth.
How Do We Fix Cracked Teeth?
At Hart Dental Group, we offer several options to fix cracked teeth, including:
- Dental bonding: A tooth-colored resin fills in the crack and restores the tooth’s appearance.
- Dental crowns: This is a cap that covers the damaged tooth. We can protect it from further damage while restoring its appearance.
- Root canal: If the crack is deep enough to expose the tooth’s pulp, a root canal may be necessary. We can use this treatment to fix the damage and restore the tooth.
- Tooth extraction: In severe cases, the tooth may need to be extracted. Then, we can talk about replacement options, such as a bridge or implant.
During your appointment, Dr. Hart will evaluate your specific situation and recommend the best course of action to fix your cracked tooth.
Protecting Your Teeth After They Have Been Repaired
After your tooth has been repaired, it is important to take proper care of it to prevent further damage.
- You should avoid hard and chewy foods.
- We may recommend a night guard if you grind your teeth.
- Proper brushing and flossing are critical.
- Regular checkups and cleanings are a must.
If you take proper care of your repaired tooth, it should last the rest of your life.
Rely on Hart Dental Group To Fix Cracked Teeth
If you have a cracked tooth, don’t wait to seek treatment. At Hart Dental Group, we have the experience and expertise to help you fix your cracked teeth and restore your smile. We provide you with timely, responsive dental care for the entire family, so give us a call today to schedule an appointment at (614) 486-1123 in Upper Arlington and Grandview.